Manufacturers and reps both say 2020 looks great for reps, according to MANA’s second annual member survey.
What do manufacturers say?
- 84% increased or maintained the number of rep firms they used last year.
- 90% plan to increase or maintain the number of rep firms they use next year.
What do reps say?
- 79% increased or maintained the number of lines on their line card last year.
- 90% expect to increase or maintain the number of lines on their line card next year.
- 87% expect to increase or maintain their company’s revenue next year.
- 88% expect to increase or maintain their company’s profits next year.
Will all reps benefit equally?
No, say manufacturers, who report they are increasingly selective when they search for reps. To even get on the list to be interviewed, top manufacturers say reps must:
- Regularly update their MANA member profile.
- List a professional e-mail address in their MANA member profile.
- AOL, Yahoo, and even Gmail accounts can hurt your chances.
- E-mail addresses like firstname.lastname@example.org also can hurt your chances. Manufacturers want to contact a specific person, not a department. Anything less than email@example.com may bump you off the list of reps to be contacted.
- List a professionally created website in their MANA member profile.
- Manufacturers say that websites that do not include the rep’s line card make them assume that rep has something to hide — so that rep won’t be contacted for an interview.
For reps with MANA member profiles that hit the sweet spot manufacturers seek, 2020 looks like a banner year. Want help checking your MANA profile to be sure it sparkles? Contact MANA VP & GM Jerry Leth at firstname.lastname@example.org or me at email@example.com. And grab your share of banner year profits in 2020!
Full details of the survey are available to MANA members. Request a copy at firstname.lastname@example.org.